Here are a few things to keep in mind when having your tailgate adventure.
- First, keep the cold foods cold and the hot food hot.
- Avoid cross contamination by cleaning prep surfaces, cooking utensils, dishes and bowls and such. Keep this in mind; don't carve bread with the knife you just used with your raw chicken unless you wash the knife.
- Avoid keeping any food in any cooler used for drinks or ice. In fact, a clean cooler should contain ice with some type of scoop. Ice used to keep food or drinks cold should be tossed when the party is over and not consumed.
- It's really common sense stuff - like this. A tube of handy wipes is a great tailgate item.
- Covered garbage cans and using garbage bags keep flies down.
- Hot food should be kept warm.
- Bug spray for the remaining hot days, sun screen, and band aids all make for a safe tailgate.
- Follow tailgating rules for your venue.
- Extenquish all fires, dispose of all garbage properly.
Stay Safe! Enjoy the fun.
Kent Whitaker is a semi-celebrated cook, author, award-winning culinary writer, husband, father, and harmonica player.