PLEASE NOTE: this is a transcript of my report from the tailgate for the Blue Raider Radio Network during the football pre-game prior to the game against the Golden Gophers. So, if you feel like I'm talking to somebody... I was! And, you missed my horrible "Da-Bears" mid-west accent.
Are you ready MTSU FOOTBALL FANS?!!! Blue Raiders vs the GOLDEN GOPHERS! – Heck yea! Now, if you’ve ever visited the Mid West and enjoyed a tailgate, picnic, or grilling session there’s a good chance you’ve eaten “Scotcheroo bars” – or “Scootherrooos” as you may hear them simply referred to as ‘BARS” or “DA BARS”
That’s my best Mid-Wester accent – sorry to all of my fans and friends who are Chicago Bears fans. Anyway - Time for something sweet, good, and packed with PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE!
FOOTBALL TIME Scotcheroos!
PHOTO: - Cool Scotcheroo recipe pic from rahchachow.blogspot.com
Anyway – let’s jump away from the grill for a moment and talk BARS – otherwise known as tasty snacks or desserts that are not cakes, cookies, cup cakes, slices of pie – “Bars” in the Midwest are basically what we Middle Tennessee Southerners call – Rice Crispy Squares – except “Bars” Scootoroos, SCOTCHaroos, include peanut butter and chocolate.
Here’s a no- bake version that does require some time on the stove top – don’t worry if you miss something – the who recipe is on thedeckchef.com and GreatAmericanGrilling.com
First - grab some Nonstick cooking spray - These babies are sticky! Then - grab these ingredients!
• 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup light corn syrup
• 6 cups toasted rice cereal
• 1 11-oz. package of butterscotch chips - AKA Morsels!
• 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - AKA Morsels!
• COAT 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray., Glass, aluminum, foil lined – non-stick and non-stick spray – cause these babies are gonna stick!
• COMBINE peanut butter, sugar and corn syrup in large saucepan.
• Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted.
• Remove from heat.
• Add cereal quickly; stir until thoroughly coated. - Get Ready for a WORKOUT BABY! - This will turn into a tasty gooey wet cement!
• Take that whole mess and Press onto bottom of prepared baking pan.
• NOW - MICROWAVE - in a glass bowl - butterscotch chips and semi-sweet chocolate chip in large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture. You may need to add a drop of oil - only a drop! If you add too much it won't harden back up!
• REFRIGERATE for 15 to 20 minutes or until topping is firm. Cut into bars.
• Serve em up at your next tailgate!
Boom, done – the hardest part is stirring in the cereal with the peanut butter mix before it starts turing into a sugary version of semi-wet peanut butter concrete !
Jack Brown's Burger Joint!
Now that your sweet tooth is taken car of – TIME FOR JACK BROWNS BEER AND BURGER JOINT BABY!
It's a Burger Joint with a Passion for Craft Beer!
Murfreesboro on North Maple Street
Nashville on 3rd Ave North
And in the Scenic City - Chattanooga on Georgia Avenue
That’s Jack Browns Beer and Burger Joint
Guys that's my TAILGATE TIP for the MTSU Blue Raiders taking on the Golden Gophers! You can find this tailgate recipe online at thedeckchef.com and GreatAmericanGrilling.com – which the site for my new cookbook – Great American Grilling by me Kent – The Deck Chef – Whitaker. Sending it back for more coverage. Kent The Deck Chef Whitaker reporting from Tailgate Land – Back to you guys for more coverage but not before saying Gooooo Blue Raiders!! – Sorry -I’m ALL SUGARED UP!!
Go Blue Raiders! Back to you guys!