It's all about some Easy Grilled Shrimp and a tasty side! Summer grilling is getting started and that means plenty of grilled shrimp and other tasty items cooked over open flames! When it comes to shrimp I'm a sucker for serving a pile of the little guys, and many other seafood items, up with a side of cole slaw. But, sometimes you need a different take on basic cole slaw!
This recipe is featured in several of my articles as well as my new book Great American Grilling!
Here’s a nice version of a coleslaw with an Asian feel and the taste of Mango as well. Enjoy!
For the Shrimp! Grab a bunch of peeled and deveined shrimp and then:
- toss them in a non-reative bowl with some,
- orange juice,
- ginger powder,
- a dash of hot sauce,
- and some seasoning of your choice.
- Adjust the recipe to your liking! I tend to lean towards Cajun, Jerk style, or something along those lines with the citrus PUNCH!
- Cover, chill, prep your grill and start your cole slaw. Grill as you normally would.
The great thing about this recipe is that it's BEAUTIFUL and packed with flavor! I suggest making an hour ahead of serving time to let the flavors mingle a bit.
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 3 cup shredded cabbage, not diced, not chopped!
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 cup Red bell pepper thin sliced
- 1/3 cup Green bell pepper thin sliced
- 1/3 cup Red onion, thin sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Several dashes of ground ginger
- Drizzle of honey
- Dash of salt
- Toasted almonds or sunflower seeds
- Dash of sweetener or sugar
- Parsley, chopped - optional
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro - optional
Directions: Toss everything in a bowl besides the cilantro and parsley and nuts. Cover and chill for at least thirty minutes. Toss with cilantro and parsley before serving. Add a dash or two of sweetener for added flavor.