I love chocolate and I love mashed potatoes! My local meat cutter at our neighborhood Bi-Lo pointed out this recipe, and a few others, to me in one of their printed store flyers. I was in looking for a deal on some ribs - leave it to a meat cutter to up-sell me on some nice steaks and some potatoes! So, if you're looking for a different twist on a Valentine's Day grilling/cooking session then this tasty side dish might be the perfect addition to your menu.
• 3 lbs. gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 in. chunks
• 3/4 c. milk
• 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
• 1/2 c. white chocolate baking discs
• 4 oz. shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
• salt to taste
1. Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 min. Drain.
2. Combine milk and vanilla bean in a saucepan over medium-heat. When the milk begins to bubble, remove and discard the vanilla bean. Add chocolate chips to milk; whisk continuously until chocolate is melted.
3. Mash potatoes in a large bowl. Add milk- chocolate mixture to potatoes and stir until combined. Add cheese and mash together with potatoes; season with salt.
Recipe and photo via Bi-Lo grocery stores.